A Network is basically connecting two or more devices though a wired or wireless channel to share & exchange the information electronically. These devices can be computers, scanners, printers, routers, storage systems and applications etc. Based on the type of devices used in the network, they are referred as Compute Network, mobile network and a Storage Network etc. The devices in any kind of network are expected to share the information from the other resources in the network in a secure and reliable way. The devices in a network are connected through cables, telephone lines, radio waves and infra light beams etc.
Previously we learned the fundamentals of Storage Infrastructure and and its key concepts. In this post, we will explore the types of networks and its features which are used in traditional and cloud datacenters.
- Network Considerations and Advantages
- Different Types of Networks
- Network Protocol (Open Systems Interconnection OSI Model)
- Types of Network Devices and Network Ports
- Commonly used Network ports in Cloud Computing
- Types of network Service Protocols
- Network Configurations and Operational Techniques
- Network Optimization Techniques
- Troubleshooting Basic Network Connectivity Issues
The following points need to be considered when planning and creating any type of network in datacenters.
- Implementation – A network implementation requires lots of physical devices such as cables, network cards, routers, switches, firewalls and network softwares etc. The installation and implementation of these network devices requires the services of a experienced network engineers. This is not applicable in Cloud as these are predefined and managed by Cloud service providers
- Administration – Based on the complexity of the network designed, networks needs to be managed properly and it requires considerable time and expertise. Network administrators with right skillset are needed to manage & monitor the networks in a datacenter.
- Cost – Since network involves lots of physical devices which can reduce its efficiency over the time, they need to be replaced and the softwares has to be upgraded to keep the network up and running.
- Security – Network security is a very important capability in which every organization invests. Right policies and controls has to be implemented to prevent network security breach which may result in the fall of an entire business. A well certified security specialist should be available in every datacenter to implement right set of policies and controls.
See: What are Storage devices and storage networking
Advantages of Networks in a Datacenter
Following are the advantages of Network technology in IT Datacenter
- User and Access Management – Users and their access to the infrastructure can be managed centrally if the servers are connected in a network.
- File Sharing – Files can be shared between servers and users remotely by storing them in a centralized storage systems.
- Storage Management – Storage disks and the data in the disks can be shared across the devices in the network and users can access them as if they are attached locally.
- Resource Sharing – Regular office resources and peripheral devices like printers, scanners, and security devices can be shared and accesses through network.
- Application Sharing – Applications which are build within the same network can be access seamlessly as if they are installed on a local computer.
- Expandability – New servers or IT devices can be added in the network and they can be accessed immediately from anywhere as long as they are connected to a network.